Best Time to Visit Maui
Maui Tips for When to Visit
The best time to visit Maui, taking into consideration the weather, demand for accommodations, and how crowded, or not, the island is, are the month(s) of April, May, August, September, and early October.
Wondering when is the best time to visit Maui? If you've already narrowed down your choices of islands and Maui is the winner, you're probably wondering what time of year to visit the island.
Below we'll cover visitor arrivals, Maui's weather and climate, accommodations, rates, and what to expect on a visit during each season on Maui.
2022 COVID Travel Updates
Heading into 2022, the Omicron variant has caused some concerns as local cases have risen sharply. We continue to monitor this situation closely. More information on current conditions can be found on our current Hawaii Travel Restrictions page, which we update regularly.
— article continued below —
Weather & Climate
Weather-wise, you'll be happy to know that Maui's warm tropical climate is fairly consistent year-round with daytime highs from 75-85°F (23-29°C) during the summer and winter, respectively. At the many coastal resorts that dot the island at sea level, temperatures rarely dip below 60°F (15°C) during the coldest of winter. The weather on Maui is typically great for visitors year-round. The only time Maui's weather is unpleasant is if a winter storm blankets the island with clouds and rain, but those are infrequent and shouldn't be too much of a concern.
The majority of the rain that Maui receives falls in the winter months, from November through March. Rain showers are typically short and are quickly followed by more sunshine, and, if you're lucky, rainbows. Rainbows are always said to be a sign of good luck in the islands, meaning you'll return one day if you spot one.
Below we've included two graphics that should help you gauge what the weather will be like during your visit. Please remember that weather conditions can be drastically different depending on the geography of the island. For more information about Maui's weather, be sure to also check out our in-depth article on Maui Weather.
Hurricane and tropical storms are historically rare events on Maui, but it’s still important to be prepared for storms if you visit during hurricane season - June through November. The last few years have seen increased activity around the islands, so it’s important to monitor accordingly when planning and taking your trip to Maui.
Maui Accommodations & Rates
If you're looking for the best deals on accommodations, spring and fall are the cheapest months to visit the island because demand is down. This means the island is less crowded as well, which is another benefit of visiting during these months. Our personal preference is April - May.
If you plan to come during the holidays, especially Christmas, you can typically expect large crowds of people - and prices will reflect the increased demand. Learn more on our Where to Stay on Maui article.
Below, we'll cover our Maui Seasonal Expectations on visiting during each season of the year.
2022 Hawaii Budget Calculator
Estimate the Cost of your Hawaii Vacation
Aloha, guest readers can calculate five (5) trip cost estimates for Hawaii each day. Rates included within this calculator are based on projected Summer 2022 rates aggregated from current OTA pricing. Rates will be updated regularly.
HawaiiGuide Premium members can submit unlimited trip estimates each day.
Maui Seasonal Expectations
Events Updated for 2022
Due to the ongoing pandemic, some Maui events may be delayed, canceled, or rescheduled. We've included the dates and months that most Maui events are typically held below, but please be aware that currently, things are subject to change.
Visiting Maui in January, February, or March
These winter months will be a bit cooler on Maui, and rainstorms are not uncommon during this time of year, especially on the windward (northeast) side of the island. One positive to extra precipitation is that this rain typically enhances the Road to Hana waterfalls. This is also the best time for Whale Watching; Maui has some of the best opportunities for whale watching in the entire state. Many visitors specifically pick Maui during this time of year because they hope to catch a glimpse of the majestic creatures that call the warm, sheltered waters near Maui home- the humpback whales. Each January - March they migrate down from Alaskan waters to mate, calve, and birth their young.
Maui Winter Events:
- PGA Tour Sentry Tournament of Champions (January) - Each year, visitors will find some of the best golfers in the world taking part in the Sentry Tournament of Champions in Kapalua.
- Maui Whale Festival (February/June) - The Pacific Whale Foundation holds a series of events celebrating the annual migration of the humpback whales to Maui.
- Chinese New Year Festival (February) - Held on Maui’s west side in the town of Lahaina on Front Street, this free event features Chinese dragon dancing, music, and firecrackers to help ring in the new year.
Visiting Maui in April, May, or June
These Spring months are in our opinion, the best months to visit Maui. The weather is ideal, crowds are lower than during the summer months, and pricing on accommodations and flights are often the lowest you’ll find all year. Crowds and temperatures will both tick upwards toward the start of June.
Maui Spring Events:
- East Maui Taro Festival (April) - Cancelled for 2021; unsure about 2022 at this time. Celebrate taro, one of Hawaii’s most important crops, with a farmers market, poi pounding, music, food, art, and more.
- Maui Steel Guitar Festival (May) - Cancelled until further notice. This free, three-day festival includes a series of performances, presentations, instructional workshops, and more.
- Maui Onion Festival (May)
- Olukai Ho'olaule'a (June) - Located on Maui’s north shore, visitors can watch professional paddlers race the eight-mile Makilo run.
- Maui Film Festival (June/November) - Typically in June. This unique festival attracts movie fans globally. Visitors can attend an open-air film festival at the Wailea Resort, complete with both world-class films and plenty of celebrity guests.
- Kapalua Wine & Food Festival (June)- The Kapalua Wine & Food Festival features wine tastings, seminars, cooking demonstrations, and local entertainment.
Visiting Maui in July, August, or September
The summer months of July and early August will be the warmest and some of the busiest on Maui. With school being out on most of the mainland, families often visit during this portion of the year. September, by contrast, is a great time to visit if you want to avoid crowds.
Maui Summer Events:
- Aloha Festivals (September) - Honors Native Hawaiian culture and traditions.
- Maui Ukelele Festival (September) - The annual Maui Ukulele Festival is a full afternoon of ukulele music at the Maui Arts & Cultural Center.
Visiting Maui in October, November, or December
The months leading into fall, specifically October and early November, can be a good time to visit. Prices are lower than peak periods, demand is down, and the weather is often cooperative until mid-November when it can begin to get wetter again. Most of December fits this slower trend as well, except for the weeks around Christmas and New Year; they can be exceptionally busy on Maui and prices and rates will reflect the increased demand. Avoid the holidays if you're looking to save money and skip the crowds.
Maui Fall Events:
- Hawaii Food & Wine Festival (October-December) - Celebrated statewide, this three-week-long event is something not to miss while visiting Maui.
- Made in Maui Festival (November) - The Made in Maui Festival features over one hundred vendors selling their locally made arts, crafts, food, and souvenirs.
- XTERRA World Championship (November/December) - The world championship of off-roading attracts 800 racers each year, both amateurs and professionals alike. This event is held on the northwestern coast of Maui
- Banyan Tree Lighting in Lahaina (December) - For Christmas, the large banyan tree in the center of downtown Lahaina is lit up with festive decorations and colored lights.
Book Your Maui Vacation Today!
It's easy to plan and book your perfect Hawaii trip. Enter your trip dates to search Hawaii vacation packages, hotels, flights, and car rentals.
- Rental Cars
Our Suggestions for Where to Stay
Our Suggestions for What to Do
*Maui monthly Visitor Statistics are provided by the Department of Business, Economic Development & Tourism.